The introduction of MKT excavator mounted side clamp vibratory hammers has revolutionized the pile driving industry. Jobs that used to require a crane and a full crew can be done with just an excavator with a side clamp vibratory hammer installed, an operator, and one ground man.
Restrictions of a standard vibratory hammer installed onto an excavator:
- An excavator with a traditional bottom clamp vibratory hammer grips the top of the pile. Due to reach restrictions, this setup can only drive a pile with a maximum height of approximately 22 feet tall. This maximum pile height can be slightly improved by building high ground for the excavator, digging a trench for the piles prior to clamping onto them with the hammer, or pre-drilling and dropping the piles into the holes. In most situations, a piece of support equipment is required to operate this setup.
Advantages of a side clamp vibratory hammer:
- MKT side clamp vibratory hammers allow excavators to drive piles taller than 22 feet high because the hammer is initially gripping the pile from the side. This setup can drive the pile from the side until it is driven deep enough for the excavator to reach the top of the pile. At that point, the hammer can clamp onto the top of the pile and finish driving to the specified depth. With the use of the rototilt, the hammer can rotate 270 degrees, tilt side to side, and tilt fore and aft. This allows the excavator to pick up the pile from the ground, set it in place, and drive in one continuous motion. There is no need for support equipment, trenching, or pre-drilling when an MKT side clamp vibratory hammer is mounted onto an excavator. The wireless remote control allows for operation of the hammer from the excavator cab or from the ground.
Available side clamp vibratory hammer sizes and requirements:
- There are 4 sizes of MKT side clamp vibratory hammers available. Here are the model numbers and requirements for each:
- MKT V-2Esc
- 25 tons of driving force
- Requires 40,000+ lb excavator (40 gpm @ 3,000 psi)
- MKT V-4Esc
- 40 tons of driving force
- Requires 50,000+ lb excavator (35 gpm @ 4,500 psi, 45 gpm @ 4,500 psi for high frequency)
- MKT V-5Esc
- 53 tons of driving force
- Requires 80,000+ lb excavator (90 gpm @ 3,500 psi)
- MKT V-8Esc
- 80 tons of driving force
- Requires 70,000+ lb excavator (65 gpm @ 4,500 psi, 80 gpm @ 4,500 psi for high frequency)
- MKT V-2Esc
Contact us today to find out how renting or buying an MKT side clamp vibratory hammer can save you time and money on your next job.